Eligibility for meal plan accommodation requests are determined on a case-by-case basis by a committee consisting of representatives from the following areas: BASC Dining Services, Hazen Center for Integrated Care, Residential Life & Learning Communities, and Student Accessibility Services. The goal of this process is to provide students with the tools that they need to be active in the management of their allergy or food-related medical condition within the residential dining program.
Given the ability to accommodate a wide range of dietary needs, an exemption from participation in the meal plan is rare and will only be considered when needs cannot be met by Dining Services. Requests for meal plan exemptions based on dietary preferences or for financial reasons will not be granted.
Meal Plan Accommodation Request Process
- Review the tools and resources provided by Dining Services and contact us at email@example.com for additional support with your dietary needs or allergies.
- Complete the form below at least two weeks before the semester starts to allow enough time for review and a decision before the semester begins.
- Submit disability documentation. An individual with a disability is defined by the ADA as a person who has a physical or mental impairment that substantially limits one or more major life activities, a person who has a history or record of such an impairment, or a person who is perceived by others as having such an impairment. Documentation to establish eligibility for reasonable accommodation should:
- Be on letterhead and issued by a licensed medical professional whose credentials match the disability being evaluated
- Contain a specific diagnosis statement
- Be comprehensive to establish clear evidence of a substantial impact on one or more major life activities; include the degree to which the impairment limits each major life activity and the expected duration of the limitation
- Recommend a complete description of the desired accommodation and rationale of why it is necessary, including why the student’s needs cannot be met without the accommodation
- Be recent enough (within one year) to assess the current impact and functional limitations posed in a college setting
- Requests for meal plan accommodations are reviewed by the Meal Plan Accommodation Committee. A committee representative will contact the student if more information is needed. Students are informed of the Committee’s decision by email within one week of the Committee’s review.